Sunday, April 4, 2021

Another Part of Me

    



    

My girl Nahla and I. We go everywhere together, and we especially love hiking and park trips (yes really, me too!) and we love cuddling. In a way, she is part of my sanctuary. 

    Wow, what a wild year it's been. I suppose it just started, but we all know that 2020 is still lingering around.

     I've now officially traded my decade long restaurant management career for college, and more specifically, journalism. Do I sometimes wonder how I'm going to make it work without that fiscal comfort, uhh yes! But I know I will, and I know I have fallen involve with writing and school itself. With writing, my words flow out of the tips of my fingers and travel through they keyboard, becoming so much more mellifluous than when spoke out loud. With writing, I feel like a little more magic comes out.

    On that note, coming to college has been one of the best life decisions I have made, and without the country wide shut down of the service industry, who knows if I'd be here, but I'm grateful. If I could be a professional student, and just learn for the rest of my life, I might do it. Until that program comes out though, I will continue on my road with Journalism, where I learn daily about the lives of others, and that's the best thing in the world. To be able to share a story is my mark on the world. I'm currently still studying at Linn-Benton Community College, and come this September I have a sweet little baby boy due! A first time mommy I will be, and I'm going to be lucky enough to have my baby and just focus on school - another whirl wind of an adventure. Perhaps after I graduate at Linn-Benton, I'll be at the University of Oregon, or perhaps I will get an amazing opportunity elsewhere. Regardless, the road is long and exciting, and I'm in it for the long hall.   

     This term I am focusing on feature writings, and I am so stoked! This is my favorite type of writing, and where the magic really get's going. Additionally, I will be continuing my work as the Student Voice Editor of The Commuter through the end of the school year, and will be returning to The Commuter next year as well. I'm looking forward to writing these stories and to get to read my fellow classmates stories. I'd like to be better at getting just one week ahead of my stories, so that I may stay on top of them all together. I'm a bit of a procrastinator, so this is a great goal for me. Cheers to a new year, and stay tuned for more! 

       Dakota. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

10 Questions with Audrey Ewing: How a Deadly Heart Aneurism Changed My Life.

We all know how temporarily precious life is. Perhaps we’re even lucky enough to go about our daily lives forgetting that every day is a gif...